Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Denim Storage Bins

I love Pinterest, and have promised myself to try out at least one new Pinterest craft, recipe, decorating tip, etc. per week.  I figure this mantra will keep it from becoming a total 'time suck.'
Today's project was based on a tutorial I saw about a month ago called "Denim Do-it-All Bins".

The original tutorial used re-purposed boy's jeans, very cute fabric and ball fringe as trim.  The pictures were adorable, the premise of the project ingenious - I had to try it.   It seems to have turned out really well.  If you are interested in creating your own, follow this link to access the tutorial.

Here are a few tips and hints I will share after having completed this myself:

Jeans/Denim:  A pair of woman's jeans (sitting in the craft basket waiting to be harvested) was my starting point.  I created the large bin, which measures 10" tall and 10" diameter at the top.  I had plenty of material to cut the bottom piece (a 9" round circle) from the left-over jeans without needing to seam scraps.
Top portion of jeans leg
 Needles:  The tutorial recommends a heavy-duty sewing needle for the denim.  I recently ruining several needles trying to sew through too many layers of canvas (I am a novice sewer, remember?).  I invested in some heavy-duty needles and loved my results.  Denim needles are well worth the investment.
Heavy-duty Sewing Needles
Trim:  I was initially attracted to the ball-fringe trim, and will definitely use that or flanged piping cord next time I make one of these bins (and I definitely will be making more bins).  The grosgrain is not as forgiving as other trim choices, and ended up showing some ill-placed pin marks.  This was easily solved when joining layers.
Grosgrain from previous projects
Seams:  I wanted to keep all the seams facing the back of the bin (or what I determined would be the back).  This meant I had to be mindful when attaching trim, joining the layers, and top-stitching.  To hide the cut edges of the ribbon, I just folded each one back about 1/4" and sewed it tight.  No on e should see this because it will sit at the back of the bin. the layers.
Grosgrain ribbon edges matched-up and sewn shut
Overall, this was a very easy project to complete.  It took about 3 hours, from start to finish.  The materials were already on-hand, so it cost Zero Dollars.  You cannot beat that price!  And, best of all, I justified my Pinterest habit for another day.
Completed Storage Bin Project

No comments:

Post a Comment